Don’t waste/trash watermelon rind. Oh no no I am not talking about ‘Composting’ here.You can make delicious curry from those rinds which we usually discard. Watermelon is full of health benefits,contains vitamins,minerals,antioxidants and more.Rinds are not as juicy as watermelon flesh but they also contains some vitamins like vitamin c ,vitamin b-6 making it good for your skin and immunity.
Here is the recipe to use those discarded rinds.I made it very simple,added only routine spices and it turned out so yummy.This is my mother’s recipe.These rinds have their own taste so no need to mix onion ,garlic,ginger,tomato etc.
2 cups Watermelon Rinds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 to 3 Green chilly
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
2 tbsp oil
pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
salt to taste
Handful of coriander leaves
1. Peel outer hard layer from rinds.Wash them and cut them in small pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Add heeng,then cumin seeds,mustard seeds.
4. Once mustard seeds begin to splutter , add chopped green chilly.
5. Saute for few seconds then add chopped rinds ,salt and turmeric. Mix well.
6. Cover with lid and let it cook for 5 min.
7. Then add other spices(coriander powder,chilly powder,cumin powder).
8. Cover and cook for another 10 to 15 min ,Stir occasionally.
9. Once rinds are soft ,remove from heat.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chapati.
Go green: Do not waste your kitchen waste,recycle and give it back to nature by Composting.
How to do composting at home